Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Profiles - an update from Laura

Laura sent this out a few days ago to a group of "young'ins" that I am hoping will get involved with Urban Dharma and are willing to have their profiles posted on the promotional website. I'm posting what Laura wrote and using this as another push to get your profiles done and sent to Laura.

Hey guys and gals.  The end of the month is quickly approaching.  I will make some comments on the blog about the one Ryan M. submitted.  This is a pre-blogpost reminder to get to it.  I’ve had to do this kind of thing before and it isn’t easy, but I suggest you just START.  Yes, it’s good to have a catchy start, but don’t let that deter you.  As a suggestion you might begin with answering the question, what does Urban Dharma mean to me?  Then backup into you, why you?  Do you have a specific story about how you got into Buddhism, your practice.  Tell a story.  That’s what is good about Ryan’s.  People like stories about people.  If you are stuck, feel free to email or call me.  This is a work-in-progress which means, we start and then we tweak.  Put that first stroke onto the blank canvas…”Hi.  My name is Laura and I am interested in Buddhism because…and I have a vested interested in this center because…I see the center as…”  Don’t literally do that, but if you need a place to start you can do the narrative approach or the outline approach.

Does that help at all?  You don’t have to tell the whole story about your involvement in Buddhism, but some anecdote or recall of experience can ground it.

Alright.  There’s your push.  Push back.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment