Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Non-Profit Help

Hello all. For those of you who don't know me, I am a student of Hun's over at Davidson College, finishing up my last year of undergrad in May. I am excited that momentum for the Asheville center is growing, and feel fortunate that conditions are allowing me to participate in building this community.

I have started talking about this with my dad, who has worked as a lawyer for non-profit organizations in the past. He will be able to provide us with some guidance and starting points on the path to non-profit status, if we decide to go that route. His advice will be immensely helpful, as at least Hun and I have absolutely no clue as to what that entails.

Non-profit help is also perhaps a good way to think about the direction we are headed as a community. The other day, while I was caught up in thinking about details of the center, Hun reminded me that the fundamental purpose of a center is to lessen suffering in the center's community. To me, this seems essential to remember, to keep at the forefront of the mind, instilling our long-term plans along with everyday actions with this ethos.

And, thanks to Hun for setting up this blog, so that we all can stay in touch, start building a community, and get the momentum going.

2 comments:

  1. Update: Brian and I are "meeting" with his dad on Skype this Friday at 3pm. If anyone's interested, please join us. It's just a phone call to understand better the process that is involved in incorporating the Center as a non-profit, religious organization. A 501(c)(3) application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ug, the 9-5 life! I wish I could make it. Would you guys be able to take notes and post them here? I'm really interested in the whole 501c3 process...

    ReplyDelete