Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The future of this blog?

With the newest developments concerning the future of Urban Dharma, and not knowing exactly yet what that might entail, I have come back to consider my own practice and to reflect more deeply about what, if anything, I have to share with others through this center. That's definitely an important question for myself, and I have been thrilled at the idea that even if I don't have much to offer now, at least at Urban Dharma I can share in the Dharma with others, and perhaps learn how to share it constructively with new practitioners in the future.

In the vast interim between now and then, I wanted to begin using this blog again to continue communicating and connecting with you all through the Dharma. I've realized how great it has been hearing people's ideas for the center as this entire process has unfolded, and I thought that posting in some form our experience with the Dharma, would be a good way to complement and inform our own individual practices while supporting the community that Urban Dharma represents.

I recently heard Dr. Hun give a (short) talk on The Four Dharmas of Gampopa. I confess, when I first read them in preparation for the talk, I was not struck by them in any special way, but by the time the talk was over I was quite moved.

If we allow our minds to turn towards the Dharma, as Gampopa pleads that his mind may, then it must help that we start communicating in those terms as well. It is in this spirit, then, that I invite everyone to use this blog for exactly that, to share one's encounter with the Dharma, whether it is mundane or profound, important or trivial, personal or general, comic or tragic. For I think as Urban Dharma grows this will become our story more and more--how does Dharma intersect with our daily life? How can we apply Dharma to our experience (our path)? And to begin finding ways to talk about our experience, realistically.

Turning my mind towards the Dharma seems more important to me now more than ever. On a personal note, I will be a father any day, and while I don't know how the Dharma will inform this experience, I know that I cannot chance being without it now. So when I get a chance, I will be posting, too.

Four Dharmas of Gampopa

Grant your blessings so that my mind may turn towards the Dharma.
Grant your blessing so that Dharma may progress along the path.
Grant your blessing so that the path may clarify confusion.
Grant your blessing so that confusion may dawn as wisdom.
– Gampopa (1079-1159)

5 comments:

  1. Hello Joseph!

    Thanks for "re-igniting" this blog. I sure hope others will follow suit.... As it is, I already talk too much! So, we'll wait for others to speak their wisdom-minds. But regardless... please continue to post your thoughts as we wait for others' to offer theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping this blog going. Hun taught me how to do my very first blog post ever! I look forward to being with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joe.

    I am glad this blog is becoming active again- it is important not to forget how important it is for us to be communicating! And not just about organizational issues, but about Dharma. After all, the reason for all of this is to share the Dharma and grow in it together. So, of course we should share our experiences with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, good to hear you post. It is a good idea to get this blog active again. Of course, I have no idea what to post :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anyone wants recordings of the talk that Joe was referring to, hit me up!

    ReplyDelete