Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Responsibilty of Us Younger (and Older) Practitioners

What is our responsibility as Western Practitioners in bringing Dharma to the West?

Most post earlier as a comment to the Khyentse Rinpoche post was a bit of a ramble, but I want to bring this important point a bit more clearly.

I think Rinpoche eloquently points out the responsibility and failings of Tibetans, and I couldn’t agree any more. What I wonder is what our responsibility is.

Similarly, What is Urban Dharma's role in that?

Briefly, I think the failings of Tibetan and other traditional Buddhist institutions only makes it that much more pertinent that we ourselves really integrate in a full way the Dharma teachings. We really need to contemplate these teachings and spend some time thinking about their meaning and what they mean in cultural context for them to be relevant. Before we go to the cave to realize the full meaning, a lot of contemplation is necessary. I think in order to do that we need good guides (check) and a lot of determination. Also important is a very open, clear and fearless mind.

I don’t fault the Tibetans too much for their failings, although they are real. What I really think is, we need to take the real meaning of these teachings to heart, implement them in our lives, and integrate the meditation practice. I think Urban Dharma’s role is to provide a space for the exploration, competent guidance from our more experienced members, and community for the long term feeling of support and our enjoyment.

Renunciation, in the beginning, is not going to the caves; it is steady study of the teachings, a lot of contemplation and thought, and a bit of steady practice. If we can do that with a really pure heart, I think we are really heading in the right direction.

What do you think?

1 comment: