Friday, June 3, 2011

Urban Sangha

I have not posted to this in a very long time because I have been traveling intensely over the last six months. However, I have been developing a lot of thoughts on Urban Dharma and the Dharma in general. Recently, I found myself in a place where I could actually begin - in ever so small a way - my own little practice each morning and evening. While working on a remote farm in Tuscany, surrounded by beauty and provided with ample time to sit with some of the Drikung Dharmakirti texts. Since leaving this bucolic setting, it has, not surprisingly, become infinitely harder. I am back to traveling in funky, vibrant hostels through big cities like Rome, and to super touristy beach locations. No, I don't say any of this to spark jealousy, but to emphasize the point that a center for people to come together and focus on the Dharma is exceedingly critical to maintaing a practice. I agreed with so much of Brian's recent post, and was I begin my own kind of practice, the necessity of a sangha has become ever clearer. It is nearly impossible to begin your day reminding yourself of the Four Thoughts At Turn the Mind after going out to a late night club with a bunch of new friends.
But - this is going to happen! It might happen a lot, especially in a place like Asheville, where there are so many fun things to do, amazing people to meet, and phenomenal food to consume. Knowing the kind of sentiment many people have in Asheville for "alternative" religions (read: alternative to Christianity most likely), people could easily walk into the doors of UD and expect to be enlightened then and there. But we all know that the process of changing your mind is laborious. Literally. It is work. And that is why having a community - a sangha - to reinforce, rejuvenate, and reMIND us about the Dharma is the focus.
So, as we move forward, it will be a great task to think about what exactly the sangha should look like - ought there be secular "courses" in Buddhism or the history of the Buddha. Can there be talking/reading groups in additional to the sittings. I think having tea and conversation evenings is another wonderful way to infuse the Dharma into everyday urban life. Again, as Brian mentioned, many people may think that the center will serve as some magical bubble of enlightenment. But the real work is the creation of an urban sangha where people can exchange ideas and encourage Dharma practices outside of the center. I know I could benefit from a sangha right now, but just as this virtual community provides at least some outlet, so too will UD be creating a larger sangha throughout the city.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, Ryan! Didn't Kechara begin in night clubs? That's where we begin recruiting people, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. So, who do we send to the nightclubs? Volunteers? Morra? Yes? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete